This summer Kuma and I went to D.C. and spent a few days with his cousin Derek. D.C. is great place for eating, and Derek is a great food tour guide. He knows all the best places around and I can never get enough of what D.C. has to feed me.
My mother in law made these once for Sunday dinner. Kuma, my brother in law and his girlfriend were all a little freaked out by them at first. But sometimes it’s better to just say “Shut up and try it.” to quote a lady I used to work with.
It’s been a great year! I’m happy 2010 is here, so the greatness can continue on.
Tomorrow we are supposed to have a minor blizzard. It’s also going to be my last long run before the race. Let’s home that the blizzard waits ’till we’re done running. If I were still doing the full I’d be doing 20 tomorrow. At least it’s *only* 11!
I’d like a nice gelato right now. I think this may be a good week to put the kitchen aid ice cream attachment to good use. Something seasonal. Mascarpone gelato with cranberry sauce, liquified sauce not that dread-full canned sauce. A nice blood orange gelato would be great too. Wow that just reminded me that it is blood orange season. I need to get some while the getting is good for the year. YUMM! I’ll have to work on that this week, plus gelato is on the cook’s 100 list.
Creamy Vegetable Soup
· 1 medium onion chopped
· 3 strips bacon chopped
· 1 tbsp olive oil
· 4 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
· 2- 16oz bags frozen California medley vegetables (cauliflower, broccoli and carrots)
· 1-10 ¾ cheese soup
· 1- 10 ¾ cream of chicken soup
· 3 cups milk
· 1 tsp chilli powder
· salt and pepper to taste
· chicken broth or water
1. In a large saucepan, heat up olive oil, sautee onions and bacon till browned.
2. Add potatoes and vegetable, stir to coat with onions and bacon mixture.
3. Add cheese and cream of chicken soup, milk, salt, pepper, and chili powder.
4. Add enough water, chicken broth or a combination of the two so that everything is covered.
5. Simmer for about an hour.
6. Optional: puree with a stick or immersion blender for a smoother soup
7. Serve with some crusty French bread, biscuits.
Notes: You could also make this in a slow cooker on low for 6 hours. The longer the better.
Make it a meal: Pair with a tuna melt or grilled cheese sandwich.